Sunday 1 November 2015

Tried & Tested | Almond Pancakes from Get the Glow

 Recently I have really been getting into healthier cooking and after receiving Madeline Shaw's 'Get the Glow' book for my birthday I have been trying out a lot more nutritionally packed recipes. 

If like me, you love experimenting with food but want an honest opinion about how easy, tasty or quick the recipes are before trying them, then I am going to write a series of blog post reviewing recipes so you get more of an insight into which recipes are worth trying!


Today I have a chosen a quick, fun and yummy recipe that's perfect for a lazy Sunday brunch: Almond pancakes following Madeline Shaw's recipe ... 
Why not cook along with me?!

You will need:
200g Ground Almonds
2 Eggs
180 ml of Milk
1tsp Baking Powder 
2 tbsp of Coconut oil 
Pinch of salt

 A little about the ingredients ...

Ground almonds are a great healthy replacement to flour, packed with natural goodness and the perfect gluten free option. You'll find them in the baking aisle of the supermarket.
The milk in this recipe can be your own preference, Madeline uses almond milk in her recipe and I think coconut milk might be nice too but as I only had semi skimmed I just used this. 
Coconut oil is used to fry the pancakes and is an amazing ingredient on its own, if you can use this it adds along of nutrients and goodness to the dish.

 To start, mix the ground almonds and baking powder in a bowl, and the milk and eggs in a jug before combining both slowly and mixing with a wooden spoon. 
Then store the mixture in the fridge for 20 mins or more.

 I felt this was a little annoying having to let it set as it requires a little forward thinking but 20 mins is just enough to get ready or make a brew and prepare some fruit to go with it.
 After it has time to set in the fridge, melt a small tsp of coconut oil in a frying pan then pore in a small amount of the mixture.
 A minute or so on each side was enough to make each side golden brown but I did find it hard to flip as the crumbly nature of the ingredients meant the pancakes split when turning them over. 

 After I had cooked two I plated them up with a dollop of yogurt and some berries and tucked in. 

The pancakes were deliciously nutty and creamy and the yogurt and fruit added a freshness to the dish.

 I would say that the pancakes are quite filling, so next time I would make them smaller and thinner as I didn't manage to finish these two. The recipe makes around 9 so perfect if you are cooking for a few friends. I would probably half the recipe next time as I was only making it for two. It keeps for a few days in the fridge, so you can fry up some more a few days later.

Try this easy recipe if you want a healthy filling brunch this Sunday! It's a treat that doesn't make you feel guilt as it it full of natural wholesome goodness.


 If you like the look of Madeline's recipes you can find her blog and book here... 
She's all about health and nutrition and is a real inspiration.

Enjoy!

Anna 
x
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Made Up Style. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig